CRICOS Provider code: 00588M
CRICOS Provider name: NSW Depatment of Education & Communities (Schools)
Beverly Hills Girls High School accommodates approximately twenty five international students each year.
The school prides itself in being able to offer a strong academic focus and a socially supportive environment. One of the school’s strengths is its English as a Second Language [ESL] Support Team who assist our international students in the following ways:
· specialist ESL teachers offer individual support from Year 7 to 12
· Fundamentals of English is offered as a subject for Year 11 students to develop and supplement their
· ESL (English) is available as an HSC subject
· additional support such as small group tutorials is provided
Teaching Styles / Learning Systems
A combination of teacher centred, student centred and group work lessons expose students to different types of teaching and learning systems to suit their individual needs.
· Teacher centred – the teacher delivers the knowledge or content to the student
· Student centred – the student becomes the focus by being actively responsible for their own learning
· Group work- working in a small group of both ESL and mainstream students, the student engages orally,
thus developing communication skills
Pathways to Further Education
BHGHS offers strong links to TAFE and Vocational Education Training (VET) courses and the opportunity to visit universities to enhance their higher education prospects. Students can study courses such as Financial Services, Business Services, Retail, Hospitality and Entertainment.
The school has a specialist Careers Adviser who guides and advises students on the best career path based on their individual abilities. Students can attend special career days for international students which are held by the various institutions outlining the prerequisites and various courses offered.
International Students Program at BHGHS
Upon arrival, the student is met at the office which welcomes them. Our International Student Coordinator meets the student and ensures they are given an individual timetable and an Orientation and Information Handbook.
The school provides an International Student Coordinator to assist the international student by:
· Helping students to feel happy and welcome
· Ensuring that academic needs are being met
· Assisting students to adapt to school expectations
· Offering up-to-date information and guidance
· A buddy system where a local student (usually of the same cultural/linguistic background) is assigned to help the international student
· A weekly lunch meeting just for international students to ask questions, receive news, share experiences and socialise
· Annual excursions to learn more about Australian society and culture
· An opportunity to be in the Student Representative Council and have their voice heard
· Extracurricular activities such as table tennis, school band
· Links to local community youth clubs and recreational centres
“I benefitted a lot from my experiences at Beverly Hills Girls High School. The wide range of subjects offered her allowed me to explore my career path. The support from the school community enabled me to reach my goals. The multicultural environment gave me the opportunity to learn from different cultures and make friends with students from all over the world. As a result, I have chosen to study Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Sydney
Elizabeth Zhengyang Hu Dux of 2009 99.70 NSW HSC ATAR