OUR CONTEXT FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING 2015 – 2017
Our shared vision of the young women educated at Beverly Hills Girls High is that they will:
- Have developed a lifelong appreciation of and commitment to learning.
- Have respect for themselves and others, be confident and self-motivated and be able to communicate effectively.
- Be socially responsible and actively participate in strengthening and preserving our democratic community; and
- Meet the future filled with hope.
To uphold and foster the belief that WOMEN CAN DO ANYTHING, our school community is committed to:
- A comprehensive, responsive and dynamic curriculum which is challenging and appropriate for the developmental needs of each student.
- A caring environment that encourages motivation, self-discipline and confidence through individual and cooperative endeavours.
- Professional growth of staff to respond effectively to the challenges of education in the 21st Century.
- Partnerships in learning with the parents/caregivers of our students and key community stakeholders; and
- Effective and efficient school management that ensures equitable access to appropriate programs, resources and opportunities for all students.
OUR SHARED BELIEFS
- All students have a right to a quality education.
- Education impacts upon a student’s life directions, choices, opportunities and outcomes – learning is a lifelong endeavour.
- Relative to their individual talents and abilities, every child can learn and succeed.
OUR SHARED VALUES
- Respect for all in our society.
- Responsibility for our actions, our performance and our development.
- Honesty and integrity in our conduct and interactions with others.
- A fair go for all.
- Excellence and striving for one’s personal best.
- Care for and compassion, tolerance and cooperation with all in our community.
Our teachers maximise STUDENT ENGAGEMENT in learning by:
- Maintaining an inclusive, supportive and nurturing learning environment.
- Knowing each student as an individual and valuing their efforts as learners.
- Modelling hard work, commitment and the pursuit of excellence.
- Committing to personal professional learning goals that develop their understanding of strategies, approaches and resources that promote student learning in the 21st century.
- Modelling ethical and professional interactions with colleagues to enhance student understanding of cooperation, team work and appropriate conduct in learning.
- Building trust and confidence of students by making clear the expected learning outcomes for each lesson or unit of study.
- Encouraging student self-reflection on their learning progress and supporting them to improve.
- Explicitly linking school-based learning to real-life contexts or issues that are relevant to the development of our students as global citizens.